Discover all our advanced trading platforms and decide which one is best suited for you.
Questrade offers free platforms for all investing needs and goals, whether you’re a beginner or an active trader. The following are the available Questrade platforms, loaded with helpful trading tools and features to help you make informed trading decisions.
Questrade Trading is your default web platform for anyone looking to start trading stocks and ETFs. With Questrade Trading, you can easily purchase stocks and ETFs using basic order types (market and limit orders) and durations (day and good ‘til canceled).
Additionally, you get access to view important stock news, your positions, and you can create your own custom watchlists to track stocks you’re interested in.
Questrade offers free platforms for all investing needs and goals, whether you’re a beginner or an active trader. The following are the available Questrade platforms, loaded with helpful trading tools and features to help you make informed trading decisions.
- Symbol lookup bar for searching a stock or ETF you’re planning to buy (or add) to your watchlist.
- Snap quote refresh button that allows you to check the up-to-the-second price of a stock or ETF.
- Historical performance chart (including P&L details) showing the performance of your portfolio over a period of time.
Similar to Questrade Trading, QuestMobile is the brand-new, easy-to-use trading app designed for anyone who wants to start investing (stocks and ETFs) in the stock market.
With QuestMobile, the accounts view is completely redesigned to make it easy to track your portfolio, check real-time snap quotes, and place simple orders.
Other QuestMobile features include:
- Learning mode allows you to understand key concepts about trading and investing through the app so you can become a better trader.
- Watchlists are available for organizing and keeping an eye on the stocks and ETFs you’re interested in.
- Biometric ID (Fingerprint or Face ID/recognition) on initial setup for secure and faster log in.
Questrade Edge Web
Questrade Edge Web is the web platform for anyone who may want to use more complex order types, durations and research tools.
With Questrade Edge Web, you get to monitor your investments through a customizable alert notification, set up watchlists, and check your accounts and balances. You also gain access to deeper insights with in-depth, streaming Level 1 and 2 quotes in our market data packages.
In addition to stocks and ETFs, you can also trade other investment products such as options and mutual funds through the Questrade Edge platform.
Other Questrade Edge Web features include:
- Research page powered by TipRanks and Benzinga, which allow you to check trending stocks, events calendars, Smart Score, and analyst ratings.
- Complex charting features that allow you to monitor and analyze movements of any securities you’re interested in.
- Customizable gadget windows for easy view of any tables such as watchlists, positions, charts, and much more.
Questrade Edge Desktop
Questrade Edge Desktop is our advanced desktop platform for active and pro traders equipped with powerful research tools, and advanced charting and trading options.
Questrade Edge Desktop features most Questrade Edge Web features, plus:
- Customizable stock screeners that let you quickly sort and track securities such as stocks, options, and ETFs according to your own criteria
- Market Movers feature that shows the daily best and worst performers
- Market View window to keep an eye on any given market index, sector, or customized watchlist
- Hotkeys option that allows you to quickly buy and sell orders, update order quantities and prices, navigate through workspaces, and much more
To add Questrade Edge Desktop, simply:
- Go to the All Platforms page under the Accounts menu. From there, click the Questrade Edge tab on the top navigation bar.
- Scroll down and click on the Add Questrade Edge button. Once added, you’re now able to download Questrade Edge Desktop on the same page.
The Questrade app is made for people who are looking to place advanced trades and trade options on the go. With Questrade Edge Mobile, you can conveniently place orders such as stocks, ETFs, and options and view reports of your portfolio.
Note to advanced traders: We’re currently developing a trader mobile app to bring an advanced platform soon. This new app will offer many of the same tools available through Questrade Edge, and is being designed for active traders.
Questrade Edge Desktop
Questrade Global is our FX and CFD platform for trading currencies and commodities on 15+ international exchanges. It is equipped with live charting with annotations, customizable alerts, watchlists, and requires a FX and CFD account.
Other Questrade Global features include:
- Built-in real time market data and research (from industry leaders like NewsEdge and AutoChartist) to help you make better decisions in your investments
- Multi-device trading that lets you connect your accounts across your desktop, tablets, and smartphone devices.
Our practice account allows you to explore one of our platforms if you want to get more experience with trading.
If you’re looking to purchase other investments such as bonds, IPOs, and precious metals, please check out the following list:
To buy bonds, please contact Questrade’s trade desk at 1.866.980.9590. Trading bonds at Questrade is commission-free and the minimum order is $5,000.
To buy IPOs, head over to the IPO Centre and choose from the available IPOs and new issues.
When you see an IPO you are interested in, click the green BUY button on the far right of the panel. You’ll then be prompted to log in and confirm the details of the order. Alternatively, you can call our trade desk at 1.866.980.9590 to place an order.
To buy precious metals, please contact Questrade’s trade desk at 1.866.980.9590. If you’re referred by a precious metals dealer, contact your dealer directly in order to trade.
Introducing the new Questrade Trading! An all-in-one platform that makes it easy to make trade and manage your account from any web browser.
Below are guidelines to help you navigate through our trading platform including Accounts navigation bar, Account Holdings & Watchlists tables, historical performance chart, Symbol Lookup bar, and much more.
To access Questrade Trading, head over to the top navigation bar of your Questrade account and click on either TRADING or TRADE button (on the far right) of your window.
If you have Questrade Edge Web already added to your platform, you can access Questrade Trading via the TRADING button on the top navigation bar and your account card from the accounts summary screen.
On the Trading page, you’ll see the following sections:
- Accounts navigation bar.
- The accounts navigation is where you can see and select the Questwealth or Self-directed accounts you may have.
- By default, the page will show the All Accounts view that shows the information on all Questrade accounts you own. If you only have one account, your default view will be your current account. To see more detailed information (including asset allocation, balances, etc.) on your accounts, please head over to the Investment summary page under the REPORTS tab.
- Total Equity of your selected account with a historical performance chart over time.
- You can view your chart with the options of 15 days, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months (default view), 1 year, and max (since opening of account).
- Account cards showing the accounts you hold.
- Here, you can see the type of account you have, account number, and total equity.
- P&L (profit and loss) section showing Today’s P&L, Open P&L, and Total P&L.
- Today’s P&L shows the change of your profits and losses from the most recent trading day.
- Open P&L shows the total ‘unrealized’ profits and losses in the account (since opening), shown in Canadian dollars. Unrealized means that these profits or losses have not been ‘locked in’ and you still own the investment(s). On the other hand, closed P&L is the total ‘realized’ profits and losses of a position upon trading which includes commission & transaction fees.
- Total P&L (shown as dollar value and percentage) shows the total profits and losses of all positions, including open and closed P&L.
- Balance details tab.
- The balance details tab shows more information such as Total equity (cash and market value), Net deposits (withdrawals and deposits), Buying power (the amount of money available to buy or sell securities), and Earnings since inception (Total P&L and simple rate of return) on selected accounts.
- For margin accounts, Max buying power is added as extra information which shows the possible maximum amount you could borrow from Questrade to trade and invest with.
- Please note: In a Margin account, your funds are not converted for you automatically between CAD and USD. Please ensure to check whether you have a negative CAD or USD cash balance in a Margin account, or you will be charged interest for any balances held overnight. For more information, check out this article on currency conversions.
- Symbol Lookup bar.
- The Symbol Lookup bar allows you to search for a stock or ETF you’re planning to buy (or add) to your watchlist. To learn more about the Symbol Lookup bar and how to check basic stock quotes, please check our video walkthrough.
- Accounts holding and watchlists table.
- Accounts holdings table shows you the securities you own (and their information) and any open orders.
- The watchlists table allows you to organize and plan stocks or an ETF you wish to purchase for your portfolio.
- Snap quote refresh button.
- The snap quote refresh button allows you to check the current market price of a stock or ETF.
Questwealth Portfolio view
If you select your Questwealth account, you can see an overview of your Questwealth portfolio. This includes the name of your portfolio (and level of risk), how your money is invested in the asset allocation area and a review button on the top left of the panel.
The review button (Review portfolio) allows you to check your portfolio closely and change your portfolio (via a questionnaire) if your financial situation changes.
Our team of expert portfolio managers will review your answers and find the right portfolio that suits your situation. Alternatively, you’d need to review and confirm your portfolio at least once a year to make sure your portfolio still aligns with your financial goals.
When you scroll down, you’ll see the News page where you can find news related to your current holdings. The filter button on the top right side of the window allows you to change your view according to your preferences:
- All daily news (All News).
- Investments you own (My positions only).
- Specific ticker symbols (A symbol). You can search up to 6 symbols to show in your news.
Check out the sections below to learn more about the Accounts Holdings and Watchlists tables, making a trade, how to add Questrade Edge Web, and Frequently asked questions (FAQs).
The Accounts Holdings and Watchlists table is a handy tool that allows you to conveniently check the investments you hold and monitor other stocks or ETFs you’re interested in.
Here is where you’ll find an overview of your investments using the Position value and Symbol price tab.
Position value is where you see the investments you hold and their current value.
The left side shows the ticker symbol of the security (stocks or ETFs) you own and below, it displays the number of shares you currently hold. If you have placed any order (open orders), the status and details of that order will be displayed here.
The right side shows the total market value of your stock (based on your shares multiplied by their current market price), and below is your Open P&L (Profit & Loss). Open P&L represents the amount of money you’ve gained or lost on that position since you bought it. You can click the highlighted Open P&L to see your profit and loss as a percentage.
Note: If you have added Questrade Edge Web to your platform and traded options, orders will display here.
If you click the Symbol price tab on the right, your investments will show their current market price on the right. You can also see the change in price since the market opened at 9:30 AM ET.
Below the symbol and name of the investment, you’ll also see the Average price or the cost basis of the position. This is the average price per share you originally purchased the investment for.
The watchlists table is a useful tool to add and view stocks or ETFs you wish to buy in the future, or simply keep an eye on. This also allows you to organize and plan your portfolio according to your goals before you invest. The watchlists table has three main features which includes Add symbol, Create watchlist, and Edit watchlist. Let’s cover each scenario:
- If you haven't added any stocks or ETFs on your watchlist yet, simply add them through the +Add symbol button. Once you click it, a search bar will appear where you can type in either the symbol or company name you’re interested in. Simply click on the ticker symbol or star sign beside your chosen security to add it to your list.
- Alternatively, you can add stocks and ETFs by entering the name of your company on the Symbol Lookup bar on the top right of the trading view. Once the company’s information (and chart) shows up on the left side of the trading view, click the star button beside Add to watchlist to add it to your watchlist.
- To create a new watchlist, simply click on the three dotted lines on the far right of the watchlists table. An option will appear and click on Create new watchlist which brings you to another window to name your watchlist. Once you create your new watchlist, simply add the companies you want by using the Add symbol button.
- Click DONE to finalize your watchlist.
- You can view and navigate other watchlists by clicking on the drop down arrow beside the name of your watchlist.
- To edit your watchlist, first choose the watchlist you want to edit by finding it through the drop down menu beside the name of your watchlist.
- Hover over your chosen watchlist and click the three dotted icon on the right side and choose Edit watchlist. Under the edit watchlist, you have a few options:
- Change the name of your watchlist by clicking on the pencil icon on the right side of the table.
- Re-arrange the order of the stocks/ETFs on your watchlist. Simply click/hold the 2 horizontal lines icon beside your chosen ticker symbol and move it on the list depending on your preferred order. Alternatively, you can also sort your watchlist by clicking Sort: drop down menu (on the right side of the table) and choose between A-Z, Z-A, or Custom.
- Add a new ticker symbol by clicking on the Add symbol button under the watchlist name.
- Delete the entire watchlist by clicking on Delete watchlist on the bottom of the table or if you want to delete a company on your list, simply click on the trash icon beside the name of your company.
To learn more about how to navigate through accounts holding and watchlist table, please check our video walkthrough.
Making a trade is easy and requires a few simple steps.
- Head over to the Symbol Lookup bar and type the symbol or company name of the stock or ETF you’re interested in.
- A list will appear in the search box and you can click on the ticker symbol you wish to buy.
- Once you select the ticker symbol of the stock or ETF you want to buy, the information (historical performance chart) of the stock or ETF will display on the left side with its key information below it (including dividends, P/E, previous and open price, etc.).
- Click on the BUY or SELL button on the top right of the chart. If you have more than one self-directed account, you’d be asked to choose which account you want to purchase and hold the securities in.
- Two simple order types, limit order and market order, show up on the right side as options before you proceed with your purchase.
- A limit order allows you to set a price you’d want to buy or sell a stock/ETF at.
- A market order is an order type that allows you to purchase or sell a stock (or ETF) at the current market price.
- Click on the order type you wish to use and click NEXT.
Note: You can also purchase a stock or ETF by going through your watchlist or accounts holdings table. Simply click the ticker symbol you’re interested in on your watchlist and click BUY once it shows up on the screen.
Please note: If you’re looking to trade using more order types (including trailing stop orders, bracket orders, etc.) and durations, please use Questrade Edge Web. You can add and install Questrade Edge Web by going to the ALL PLATFORMS page under the ACCOUNTS menu. After adding it, head over to either the TRADE button (on the top right of the platform) or QUESTRADE EDGE WEB under the ACCOUNTS menu to continue trading. You can still access the Questrade Trading page by clicking TRADING on the top navigation page or selecting an account under the summary page.
Trade with limit orders
Click Limit order on the right side of the trading view window.
Input the number of shares you wish to buy or sell followed by the highest price you’d want to pay per share. Here, you’ll see the estimated cost of the order, the account you’re using, your buying power, and shares owned on the security. You can also switch and show your balance and currencies used for this order by clicking the Change balance display link below Buying power.
Click NEXT to go to the confirmation window where you can review the order and change the order duration. The order duration gives you two options namely Day and Until I cancel which determines how long the order is going to be active.
- Picking the Day order duration means the order will be active from the time you placed it until the end of the trading day (usually at 4:00 pm ET on that day). If the order is not filled by the end of the trading day, the order is cancelled.
- Picking Until I cancel (or Good ‘till cancelled) means the order will be active until you cancel or when the order is filled, whichever comes first. Orders under this duration will be cancelled after 90 days.
Click Place order to complete your order. An order confirmation message will show up displaying the number of shares you ordered and their total amount.
Trade with market orders
Choosing market order is the simplest way to place orders. Click Market order on the right side of the trading view window.
Enter the amount of shares you wish to purchase.
Click NEXT to show a confirmation screen with the information of your order (including current market price, estimated cost, commission & fees, etc.).
Click Place order to complete your order. An order confirmation message will show up displaying the number of shares you purchased with the total price of the shares.
Alternatively, you can always check our video walkthrough to learn more about placing limit and market orders.
- Questrade Edge Web is our web platform that allows you to start trading using more complex orders types and durations.
- Questrade Edge Desktop is our desktop platform for active and pro traders with advanced screeners, customized charting, and alerts.
To add Questrade Edge, simply:
Go to the ALL PLATFORMS page under the ACCOUNTS menu. From there, click the QUESTRADE EDGE tab on the top navigation bar.
Scroll down and click on the Add Questrade Edge button. Just below it, click on the Questrade Edge platform tabs (WEB, DESKTOP, and MOBILE) to get more information on each platform.
After adding Questrade Edge, head over to either the TRADE button (on the top right of the platform) or QUESTRADE EDGE WEB under the ACCOUNTS menu to start trading more complex orders via Questrade Edge Web. You can still access the new Questrade Trading page by clicking TRADING on the top navigation page or selecting an account under the summary page.
Whether you're just starting to learn about trading or in need of brushing up on key terms about investing, learning mode will help you get there. Learning mode gives you quick explanations of what you’re seeing so you can better understand key concepts about trading and investing.
To turn on the learning mode:
- Click the question mark button found on the bottom right of the trading view window.
- Turn on the Explain this page toggle. Once on, you’ll notice that several sections on the trading view will be highlighted including an orange circle. This shows that there is a learning mode explanation on this section.
- Browse the highlighted sections and key terms, and click it to show its description on the right side of the page.
Can I practice using more complex orders and durations using Questrade Edge Web before I add it to my platform?
Yes, you can certainly practice with Questrade Edge Web before you add it to your platform. Simply sign up for a free 90 days practice account to learn more about trading and tools on our platform.
How do I purchase bonds, Mutual funds, IPOs, Precious metals through the Questrade Trading platform?
The following are ways to purchase these types of investments:
- Bonds: To buy bonds, please contact Questrade’s trade desk at 1.866.980.9590. Trading bonds at Questrade is commission-free and the minimum order is $5,000.
- Mutual funds: To purchase mutual funds, simply:
- Log in to your Questrade account and add Questrade Edge Web.
- Head over to either the TRADE (on the top right of the platform) or QUESTRADE EDGE under the ACCOUNTS menu.
- Click MUTUAL FUNDS on the top navigation bar of the trading page and head over to the Mutual fund centre page.
- Choose the funds you wish to purchase and click BUY NOW.
- IPO: To buy IPOs, head over to the IPO Centre and choose from the available IPOs and new issues. When you see an IPO you wish to buy, click the green BUY button on the far right of the panel. After that, you’ll be prompted to log in and once you’re logged in, confirm the details of the order. Alternatively, you can call our trade desk at 1.866.980.9590 to place an order.
- Precious metals: To buy precious metals, please contact Questrade’s trade desk at 1.866.980.9590. If you’re referred by a precious metals dealer, contact your dealer directly in order to trade.
Can I see more detailed information on my accounts (including asset allocation, balances, etc)?
If you want to see more detailed information on your accounts, please head over to the Investment summary page under the REPORTS page.
How do I find more information about a specific stock or ETF on the platform?
Other than the news section, which is on the main trading page, you can see more information about a stock or ETF on our research pages by adding Questrade Edge Web to your platform. Once added, head over to either the TRADE button (on the top right of the platform) or QUESTRADE EDGE under the ACCOUNTS menu. From here, you can:
- Click Stocks on the left navigation bar and type the symbol you’re looking for on the Symbol Lookup bar. Once you’ve searched for the symbol, you can find more information about it such as analyst ratings, news analysis, reports, and much more.
- Click Research on the left navigation bar to get more information such as trending stocks, news sentiment analysis, and event calendars.
QuestMobile is a brand-new, easy-to-use trading app designed for anyone who wants to start investing in the stock market.
Easily trade stocks and ETFs with real time quotes, research and access investment details, manage and fund all your Questrade accounts in one intuitive app.
Take the power and experience of QuestMobile on the go, and never miss an investment opportunity.
Check out the section directly below for an overview of key features, or tap/click the buttons to jump to the content you’re looking for.
Tap the Apple App store, or Google Play store icons, or scan the QR codes to to download the app.
Note for advanced traders: A new mobile app specifically for active traders is coming soon. Check out the section below for a sneak peek of features. If you’re looking to place more advanced order types, find chart studies, or research tools you can also access Questrade Edge web through your mobile browser, or continue to use the old Questrade mobile app.
With this brand new app, we rebuilt the trading experience from the ground up. We will be continuously adding tools and expanding account management capabilities, so keep your version updated to make sure you always have the latest features.
Enhanced login experience
- Starting with the log in experience, we’ve simplified the process of accessing your account right away.
- When you log in for the first time, depending on your mobile device’s available hardware, you may be asked to set up your biometric ID. (Fingerprint or Face ID/recognition)
- Log in securely in seconds so you never miss a trading opportunity again.
Redesigned All accounts view
Your homepage has been redesigned to simplify your trading experience, and get you to the information you’re looking for as quickly as possible.
You can view your All accounts balance over time, or swipe left or right on the top chart to switch between your different trading accounts.
If you have a large number of accounts, you can also tap the account name at the top to view a list of your accounts in a scrollable list.
Swipe down to refresh your balances with our Snap quotes feature.
Your Total Equity (cash + investments) is shown in the middle, tap here for a more detailed view including separate CAD and USD balances, deposits, withdrawals and more.
To change your chart’s time range, tap the small date bubble at the bottom right of the chart.
Get easy access to your Order entry window, Watchlists, News and more with the buttons right below your chart. We’ll explore these areas in more detail down below.
Right below, you’ll see the Account holdings area.
At the top, the Market value of your account is shown, along with your Open Profit and Loss (P&L) and Today’s P&L. Tap “See all” for a more detailed view.
If you have any upcoming Events like earnings or dividends, you can also tap the notification for more info.
If you’re viewing one specific account instead of the “All accounts” view, you’ll also see your Buying power.
Tap Open P&L or Today’s P&L to switch between dollars, or percentages.
Below your balances, you’ll see a list of your current investment positions. Your investments are shown organized by their Position value, which is the number of shares you own, multiplied by the current price per share.
You can also swap to viewing the Symbol price (current price per share) by tapping the bubble. We’ll take a deep dive into this section later on.
If you have any Open orders for any investment, these orders will also be listed below the Ticker symbol. Feel free to tap on the pencil icon on the right side to modify an existing order that has not been executed yet.
You can also tap any of your investments to jump directly to that Stock or ETF’s quote page for more detailed information.
Lastly, at the bottom, you’ll see your transaction history, this includes deposits, withdrawals, and dividends or interest payments. Swipe to the right to view more transactions, or tap “See all” for a more detailed view.
Built right into the QuestMobile app is a fantastic new on-screen Learning mode that is on by default.
Learning mode helps you navigate the app for the first time, learn new trading terminology, and understand how the market works so you can become a better trader.
You can turn Learning mode on or off with the toggle in your Menu from the top left on any screen.
Tap the Orange question mark bubble on any page to enable Learning mode.
With leaning mode enabled, you can tap on any orange-highlighted part of the screen to display a popup with more information at the bottom of your screen.
Some page elements will also have more information available. For example: on your homepage when we tap Account holdings, there’s a Learn more button visible. Tap this to open a full screen view with even more detailed information, rich diagrams, and more!
We’ve designed Learning mode to help make complicated trading terms easier to understand, and this can be an incredibly useful tool for first-time traders on the Stock or ETF quote pages specifically.
Learn all about terms like EPS, P/E, Ask, Volume, Ex-Div, and more with Learning mode enabled.
Simplified quotes and charts
The Stock or ETF quote page shows a wealth of information related to any investment you’re looking for. This is also where you can go to review charts, your existing positions, past orders for that specific ticker symbol, and relevant news articles.
There’s three easy ways to head to the quotes and charts page:
- Tap the green Buy/Sell button from your homepage
- Tap the magnifying glass icon from the top right
- Tap on any company name and ticker symbol from your positions or watchlists
At the top of the quote page, you’ll see the ETF or company’s ticker symbol shown with the full name or description below. Below this, you’ll see the Last traded price and the currency, along with the price change for the time period you’ve selected. You can also tap the star icon on the top right to add this symbol to any of your watchlists.
Tap the different bubbles at the bottom of the chart to change the time range and price change shown.
You can also tap the full screen icon at the bottom right of the chart to switch to a bigger view. Flip your device to it’s side to take advantage of the extra screen real estate.
Swipe down to refresh your quote with our Snap quotes feature. Your quotes and prices are also always updated when you go to a new page.
You can also tap and hold anywhere on the chart to view details about that specific trading period.
Scroll down on the screen to view key statistics about the investment you’re viewing. This is commonly called a Level 1 trading quote.
You can also Swipe left on the key statistics to view even more information.
Remember: If you have questions about the information or terms used in this area, you can always turn on Learning mode.
Alternatively, feel free to check out our article about Level 1 trading quotes.
If you’re looking to Buy or Sell shares of this company or ETF, simply tap the buttons at the bottom of the screen to open the order entry window.
Right below the Key statistics, if you own shares of this symbol, you’ll see some details about your investment under Positions.
If you own shares of this symbol in multiple accounts, you can also swipe left and right to toggle between accounts.
Important information like your Open Profit and Loss (P&L), the average cost per share, and the market value of your position can be seen here.
Remember to enable Learning mode for more details about any of these terms.
You can also see your orders from the last 90 days for this symbol below this area. Swipe left or right to scroll through your orders, or tap See all to view them in a list.
Tap the pencil icon to modify or cancel an existing, eligible order.
Lastly, at the bottom of the quotes page, you’ll see any News articles related to the symbol you’re viewing. Tap any article to read it in a full-screen view, or tap See more to view a list of all recent articles.
Check out the sections below for a deeper look at Order entry, Reading and understanding your balances/positions, and more. For more details on advanced order types, or for a sneak-preview of our new app under development, check out the bottom section.
Placing a trade with QuestMobile is simple and straightforward. Follow these steps for a successful first trade:
Navigate to the Stock/ETF Quote page in any of the following ways:
- Tap the green Buy/Sell button from the homepage
- Tap the magnifying glass icon from the top right
- Tap on any symbol from your positions, or watchlists
Tap the Buy or Sell buttons at the bottom of your screen.
On the next page, select the Order Type you’d like to use:
Next, select the amount of shares you’d like to buy or sell
- Please confirm which account you’re trading with on this page if you have more than one self-directed trading account
- If you change your mind about the order type, you can also tap the bubble at the top to change this without going back to the previous screen
Market orders will take you right to the order confirmation page, however with a Limit order, you will need to enter your desired price.
- On both pages at the bottom, you’ll see the estimated order total.
- When entering your limit price when placing a limit order, you can also see either the Bid or Ask price shown at the top. (Depending if you’re buying or selling)
Remember: Limit orders will execute at your price, or better, but will only execute if the market price reaches your limit price before your order expires.
Lastly, confirm your order’s details on the order confirmation page, (including your order duration) and when you’re ready, tap send order.
After your order has been submitted to the exchange, you’ll see a green confirmation screen. Tap the button at the bottom to view a list of your orders for this symbol over the last 90 days.
Remember: You can always modify an existing order that has not been executed yet.
Viewing your balances is easy, and we’ve made the experience more customizable so you can find the information you need as quickly as possible.
Tap the dollar amount shown on your homepage in the middle of the screen to head directly to your Account balances page.
On this page, you can either view the combined balance of All accounts, or can switch between individual accounts using the menu at the top.
In the All accounts view, you can switch between viewing your balances as “Combined in CAD” or “Combined in USD” using the button at the top left.
- Combined in CAD shows your approximate balances if you were to convert everything in your account to Canadian dollars
- Combined in USD shows your approximate balances if you were to convert everything to U.S. dollars
If you’d like to make a deposit and Add money to your account, please tap the button at the top right.
Remember to enable Learning mode if you have questions about the terms like P&L or Simple rate of return on this page.
If you’re viewing accounts on an individual basis instead of the All accounts view, you can also see your exact CAD and USD balances.
Tap the “Combined in CAD” button, then select “CAD” or “USD” to view individual, separated balances.
For Margin accounts, some additional information will also be visible like your Buying power. Enable Learning mode, or check out this article for more information on these terms.
Important to know: In a Margin account, your funds are not converted for you automatically between CAD and USD. If you have a negative CAD or USD cash balance in a Margin account, you will be charged interest for any balances held overnight. For more information, check out this article about currency conversions.
Your positions (the investments you hold in your account) can easily be seen on your homepage under your balances chart.
You can either view all of your accounts combined, or switch between viewing individual accounts separately.
Use the button at the top anytime to switch between accounts you’re viewing.
If you have a large amount of positions, you’ll also see a “View all” button next to the Position value/Symbol price toggle.
If you have any open orders for your positions, you’ll also see them listed here. Feel free to tap the order to modify, or cancel it anytime.
Tap on any of your existing positions to head directly to the Stock/ETF quote page for a more detailed view of that investment.
You can see your investments organized though the Position value view, or the Symbol price view. Let’s take a deeper look at Position value first, but don’t forget to enable Learning mode for a hands-on walkthrough of this section.
Position value shows the total value of your investment next to each ticker symbol.
This is the amount of shares you own, multiplied by the current price per share.
Tap the Profit & loss bubble to toggle between viewing your position’s value change in percentages or dollar amounts.
Symbol price shows the current price per share next to each ticker symbol.
You can also see the average price you paid per share shown below the ticker.
The Profit & loss bubble will show the daily gain or loss for this symbol with the Symbol price view.
- Watchlists are an easy way to keep an eye on the Stocks, ETFs, or other securities you’re interested in. To access your watchlists simply tap on the Watchlists icon on the homepage in the “All accounts” view.
You can also scroll to the very bottom of your homepage to see an overall snapshot of major market indexes like the Nasdaq Composite, or TSX 60.
Swipe left to scroll through these indexes, or tap “Show watchlist” to head directly to the watchlist page. You can also tap the profit & loss numbers to switch between viewing change in percentages or dollars here.
On the Watchlists page, you can tap the News tab at the top to view recent news articles about the markets, and your specific investments.
- Tap the menu on the left to switch between different watchlists
- Tap the 3 dots on the right to edit your watchlist, or create a new one
You can also quickly add a symbol to the current watchlist you’re viewing by tapping “Add symbol”.
When you create a new watchlist, the first thing you can do is give it a name, then start adding the investments you’d like with the “Add symbol” button.
Feel free to add up to 50 symbols to your watchlist.
Before you save your new watchlist, you can also edit how the list is sorted. Tap the “Sort:” button on the right to change between a custom order, A-Z, or Z-A.
If you select a Custom order, you can tap and hold the button on the left next to the symbol to drag and drop the symbols into the order you’d like.
If you want to get rid of a symbol from your watchlist, simply tap the red “x” icon on the right, or long press and drag the symbol to the left.
Create as many watchlists as you’d like, and stay on top of market movements that are important to you.
The Transaction history page shows a detailed breakdown of the activities in your account. This includes trades, deposits, withdrawals, or interest/dividends.
You can see your most recent transactions shown below your positions on the homepage. Swipe to the left to scroll through your recent transactions, or tap “See all” to view them on a separate page with a more detailed view.
You can also tap on any of the transactions to view more details such as the Action, Quantity, commissions, and etc.
On the Transaction history page, you’ll see your transactions grouped together by type, and you can switch your view to a chronological order anytime by tapping the menu button at the top right.
- Tap the date range bubble to choose from a list of ranges, or set a custom date range.
- Tap the menu button on the left to change your view from grouped to chronological.
- Tap the expand button beside the type of transaction to view them in a list.
- Once you expand the list, tap any of the transactions for more details
With a Questwealth account, your balances and investments (positions) will be shown on the homepage of the QuestMobile app. If you have both a Self-directed account, and a Questwealth account, your combined balances and positions can be found under the “All accounts” view.
While viewing a specific Questwealth portfolio, if you scroll down past your chart, you can see your current asset allocations, and selected portfolio. Feel free to tap Review portfolio at the top right to view the specific ETFs you hold in the account.
Questions about the terms or figures in this section? Turn on Learning Mode for more information about your portfolio holdings.
If you’re looking to change your desired portfolio, (if your risk tolerance, or time-horizon have changed for example) please log in through your mobile browser, and head to the Account management page.
If you’re looking to place advanced order types beyond market and limit orders, or are interested in more order durations, you may want to consider using Questrade Edge. Questrade Edge is currently available through a web browser, or a downloadable, desktop version for PC and Mac.
To use Questrade Edge, you’ll first need to enable this new, free platform in your account.
- Log in to your account through a web browser
- Click or Tap the “Accounts” menu and head to “Other platforms”
- Click “Add Questrade Edge”
Once you’re done, you can simply log into your Questrade account through a web browser to access Questrade Edge web.
The old Questrade trading mobile app will also continue to be available, this also has many of the features of Questrade Edge Web.
A brand new advanced trading app for active traders is also currently under development.
This new app will offer many of the same tools available through Questrade Edge, and is designed for active traders who may trade options strategies, or use advanced charting tools and bracket orders.
In the meantime, you can use Questrade Mobile for advanced order types, short selling and options trading.
Welcome to your Questrade account! Let us make it easy for you to navigate.
Below you will learn where to place a trade, view current positions, access watchlists, view current and previous orders, and more.
For more information about account information, deposits and withdrawals and other account-related information, visit Introduction to your account.
- Closed P&L
- Represents the profit and loss (P&L) values of closed positions in your account.
- This includes positions that were completely closed in the current day, and positions that were previously partially closed.
- P&L day
- Today’s profit (or loss) for open positions in your account, compared to the previous trading day’s values.
- % P&L day
- Today’s profit (or loss) for open positions in your account (expressed as a percentage), compared to the previous trading day’s values.
Shows the number of orders for the day, including open (waiting to be executed) and closed (executed) orders.
Where to buy or sell securities.
Add gadgets to your preference. They will always be visible while you navigate the rest of the platform on the left.
Questrade Edge Desktop is a downloadable platform designed for active and pro traders, and anyone who wants to be one. A one stop shop where investors get everything they need, plus some really cool extras. You can interact with a massive amount of market and account data, and the platform will respond to your key trading needs.
To learn more about Questrade Edge Desktop click here.
It only takes a few minutes to download and install. Choose your device below to get started.
- Click here to download Questrade Edge Desktop
- Save the file to your computer and open it once downloaded
- The setup wizard will pop up. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Questrade Edge Desktop
- Once the installation completes, open the platform
- Enter your login credentials and start trading
- Click here to download Questrade Edge Desktop
- Once the file is downloaded, open the file (QuestradeIQEdge.zip)
- Click Extract and then tap Extract all
- Follow the on-screen instructions to extract Questrade Edge Desktop to your computer
- Once the extraction is completed, open the folder and click on Questrade Edge Desktop
- You can also create a shortcut on your desktop, or start menu for easy access
- Enter your login credentials and start trading
- Click here to download Questrade Edge Desktop for Mac
- The file will begin downloading immediately. Open the installation file directly from your web browser
- A finder window will open. Double click QuestradeEdgeDesktop
- You might be asked if you're sure you want to open the file. Click Open
- Log in using your Questrade username and password and start trading
If your Mac is only configured to receive files from the Apple store, you'll get this message:
To stop this message from displaying for future downloads from the Questrade.com website, change your Mac's gatekeeper settings:
- Open System Preferences
- Open Security & Preferences
- Make sure that the General tab is selected. Click the icon labeled Click the lock to make changes
- Enter the username and password into the prompt that appears and click Unlock
- Under the section labeled Allow applications downloaded from: select Anywhere. On the prompt that appears, click Allow from Anywhere
- After downloading the app & running it, return to your settings under Allow applications downloaded from: to Mac App Store and identified developers
- Exit System Preferences by clicking the red button in the upper left of the window
You can learn more about this setting by visiting Apple Support.
Want to dive deeper?
Funding your account
Learn about the different ways you can fund your account.View lesson
How to open an account
Learn what you need to know when opening a self-directed or Questwealth Portfolios account.View lesson
Discover our practice accounts and how to use them.View lesson