Online security guarantee
Terms and conditions
Here are the terms and conditions of Questrade’s Online Security Guarantee (referred to as “Guarantee” below). Subject to Sections 2 and 3 below, Questrade, Inc. (“Questrade”) will indemnify you for monetary losses resulting directly from any Unauthorized Transactions, as defined below, in your Questrade account. Questrade may amend or revoke the terms and conditions of this Guarantee at any time without prior notice to you.
For the purpose of this Guarantee, an "Unauthorized Transaction" means a transaction that was carried out in your Questrade investing account without your permission, authorization, or knowledge where a law enforcement report can provide that you have been a victim of fraud. For greater certainty, an Unauthorized Transaction does not include any transaction carried out in your account by:
- A person acting under authority to trade in your account,
- A person acting on your behalf, or
- A person whom you directly or indirectly provide your Questrade account credentials to (“credentials” means your personal client information, which is required to access your account and includes your password, user ID and/or security questions)
Questrade will cover your monetary losses pursuant to this Guarantee on the condition that you:
- Notify us immediately after an Unauthorized Transaction occurs, but in any event no later than four (4) business days, by sending an email to email@example.com;
- Notify us immediately if you know or suspect that your Questrade account number or your user ID and/or your password has become known to someone else or if there has been any suspicious activity in your account;
- Cooperate fully with Questrade staff during our investigation and provide all information we request in connection with the investigation; and
- Grant Questrade your permission to investigate and review your computer or device and/or employ a third party to investigate and review your computer or device.
Questrade will provide indemnity to you pursuant to this Guarantee provided:
- You comply with any obligation stated in any agreement you have with Questrade;
- You maintain a current version of antivirus and firewall software;
- You regularly review your account activity, statements, and trade confirmations;
- You only install software from reputable companies and/or apps from your mobile device’s or tablet’s app store;
- You have enabled two step verification within your Questrade account prior to the Unauthorized Transaction;
- You avoid phishing sites and attacks by not opening emails from anyone you do not know or clicking on links contained in any email that are unfamiliar;
- You do not engage in, alone or in concert with others, any fraudulent, criminal, or dishonest acts relating to the Unauthorized Transaction;
- You do not share your Questrade credentials (such as your account number or password) with any other person or organization including, without limitation, an online account aggregation service provider, or were otherwise negligent or careless in keeping your Questrade credentials confidential;
- You do not share your Questrade credentials (such as your account number or password) with anyone who calls you, including with those who attempt to impersonate a Questrade employee in order to get your account information (this is known as a Social Engineering Attack);
- You only access your Questrade account from a trusted device and never access your account using a computer or device that would reasonably be believed to contain software that had the ability to reveal to a third party, or to otherwise compromise, your Questrade account number or your password;
- You take reasonable precautions to prevent Unauthorized Transactions (for example, signing out of and closing your Internet browser at the end of your online investing session, not accessing your account through an unsecure or public network, and not allowing anyone to use your desktop, laptop, tablet, or mobile device);
- You immediately notify law enforcement of the Unauthorized Transaction; and
- Your loss did not result from an unauthorized transaction which involves selling or purchasing over-the-counter (OTC) securities. For the purposes of this Guarantee, OTC securities include any securities not traded on a formal exchange such as New York Stock Exchange or Toronto Stock Exchange.
Limitation of liability
Questrade will not be liable to you for any indirect, consequential, special, aggravated, punitive, or exemplary damages whatsoever, in whole or in part (including but not limited to any business interruption, loss of profit, loss of opportunity, market loss, or any other commercial or economic loss) resulting from an Unauthorized Transaction in your account, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages.