Questrade is committed to protecting your personal and financial information. We offer a comprehensive, multi-layered approach to safeguarding your privacy and ensuring that your personal information is secure. Questrade appoints a privacy officer, who is responsible for our overall compliance with privacy legislation. Our goal is to provide you with online access that is convenient, safe and secure.
Throughout the policy, we will refer to information that personally identifies you or your account(s) as personal information.
- We do not sell your personal information to anyone.
Use, collection and storage of your personal information:
- When you request a Questrade product or service, we will ask you to provide specific information that will enable us to satisfy your request. In most cases, this information will be provided by you when you open a Questrade account or sign-up for a promotional offer.
- We may also collect information about you from other sources such as credit reporting agencies or other financial institutions.
- We collect, use and may disclose your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to third parties for income tax reporting purposes, as required by law. In addition, Questrade is required by law to verify the identity of all clients, account beneficiaries, and trading authorization holders. In order to fulfill this obligation, Questrade may request your SIN to verify your identity through an established credit reporting agency. This will apply for margin and cash accounts, but registered accounts (i.e., RSP, RESP) do not require the use of a SIN for identity verification. However, if we do request that you provide us with your SIN for a reason other than for income tax reporting, providing us with your SIN is optional and you can refuse our request for this information.
- It is always your decision to provide Questrade with your personal information. You should be aware that in certain instances, your refusal to provide Questrade with the requested information may result in our inability to offer you the service or product you request or may result in delays in approving your account.
- We may use other companies, including affiliated companies, to provide services on our behalf such as data processing, account administration and marketing. Such companies will be given only the personal information required to perform those services and we do not authorize them to use or disclose that information for their own purposes. We require that these companies keep your information confidential and protected. In some cases these other companies may be located outside of Canada and may be required to disclose information to law enforcement and national security authorities in that country
- For all new accounts, once you have acknowledged your acceptance of the terms of the Client Agreement, either by signing the Statement of Acceptance or by making a deposit into your account (Section 1.43 Agreement Acceptance), we will retain your personal information.
- We do not:
- Collect, use, or disclose information that is otherwise unlawful
- Profile or categorize clients in a way that leads to unfair, unethical, or discriminatory treatment contrary to human rights law
- Collect, use, or disclosure information for purposes that are known or likely to cause significant harm to the individual
- Publish personal information with the intended purpose of charging individuals for its removal
- Require passwords to social media accounts for the purpose of employee screening
- Surveil through audio or video the individual's own device. We clearly disclose to all clients, if and when, calls are recorded.
We collect personal information in the normal course of business in order to administer your accounts and serve you better.
Application and registration informationWe collect information that you provide to us when you open an account or register for one of our services, or when you accept a promotional offer for a Questrade-sponsored product or service. The information we collect may include name, address, phone number, email address, social insurance number, and information about your investments, and investment experience. We also may collect information from consumer reporting agencies to verify your identity in the account opening process.Personal information, such as email address and telephone number, may be used to provide you with automated alerts relating to the securities held in your account and/or account related activities. Should you chose not to receive these alerts, changes to your preferences can be made with your Questrade account/the account opening process/etc. You may withdraw your consent at any time. Refer to the Withdraw Consent section of the policy.
You do have control over cookies. Most browsers can be set to notify you when a cookie is being placed on your computer or device, which gives you the choice of whether you'd like to accept it. You can set most browsers to refuse to cookies, although this may affect your Internet experience on your website. You can also delete cookies that are already on your computer. For more information, see How to Opt out of Cookies below.
- Our services use the following categories of cookies:
- Customer-related cookies: cookies are also used to personalize your customer experience. If you have registered a user ID on the website, there are encrypted cookies cached when you are within our website that allow us to recognize that you are a customer vs. non-customer (but that do not record any of your personal information). Those encrypted cookies help us understand if you are logged in, your current and past use of our website, cross device behaviour and may allow us to personalize your customer experience or deliver products and personalized services. This personalization may occur even after you have logged out. These cookies are encrypted through a unique identification number and cannot be used to personally identify you.
- Note: Questrade does not use third-party web analytics tools to collect personally identifiable information entered on our site(s). This information is only personally identifiable if you have chosen to reveal yourself; for example, by opening an account with us.
Transaction informationOnce you have an account with us, to administer your account and serve you better, we collect and maintain personal information about your transactions, including balances, positions, and account history. Additionally, we may include your name or other data in an internal client list that reflects your activities at Questrade.
- As part of our efforts to reach and serve new and existing clients we sometimes collect and use information from outside mailing lists.
- As part of our services of extending credit on margin loans we may need to perform a credit check through an accredited service bureau.
We use your personal information to enable Questrade to provide you with the best possible service, including:
- To understand your financial needs and to deliver financial products and services that meet them. We may share personal information, such as transaction or experience data, with various service providers, all of which follow similar privacy policies
We may disclose or report personal and trading information of any account holder who has been referred to Questrade as part of Questrade’s affiliate program. Information that may be disclosed includes (1) when you opened an account with Questrade and (2) the number of trades or transactions made in your account while you are a client of Questrade. For more information on our affiliate program, please visit https://www.questrade.com/affiliates/overview. If you become a client as a result of being referred to Questrade through a third party you should be aware that Questrade may have paid the third party a referral fee. Please visit http://www.questrade.com/about-us/programs-promotions for details of referred fees paid through Questrade’s refer a friend program and https://www.questrade.com/affiliates/overview for details of referral fees paid through Questrade’s affiliate program.
Opting out of personal information requests
Questrade only shares personal information with third parties in the following limited circumstances:
- We disclose personal information to companies that help us process or service your transactions or account(s), including companies that clear and process your transactions and print and mail your account statements.
- Sometimes we enter into contracts with third parties so that they can assist us in servicing your account. Our contracts with such third parties prohibit them from using any of your personal information for their own purposes, and the third parties are required to maintain the confidentiality of the information we have provided to them.
- We may also enter into what is called a joint marketing relationship with another financial institution, if we believe that you might be interested in hearing about its products and services. If we enter into such a relationship, we will notify you about it and have contracts in place to ensure that the other financial institution will protect confidentiality of the limited information we would share with it (e.g., name and address), and that it will use your personal information only for the joint marketing arrangement.
- We may disclose or report personal information in limited circumstances where we believe in good faith that disclosure is required or permitted under law. For example, we may be required to disclose personal information to cooperate with regulators or law enforcement authorities, resolve client disputes, or for institutional risk control.
- For regulatory purposes, self-regulatory organizations including Market Regulation Services Inc., the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (“IIROC”), Financial Transactions Reports Analysis of Canada (“FINTRAC”), Ontario Securities Commission (“OSC”), and the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (“CIPF”), collectively, “SROs”, require access to personal information of current and former clients, employees, agents, directors, officers, partners and others that has been collected or used by regulated persons. SROs collect, use or disclose such personal information obtained from regulated persons for regulatory purposes, including:
- Surveillance of trading-related activity, sales, financial compliance, trade desk review and other regulatory audits.
- Investigation of potential regulatory and statutory violations.
- Regulatory databases.
- Enforcement or disciplinary proceedings.
- Reporting to securities regulators.
- Information-sharing with securities regulatory authorities, regulated marketplaces, other self-regulatory organizations and law enforcement agencies in any jurisdiction in connection with any of the foregoing.
We protect the confidentiality and security of your personal information.
- Companies we hire to provide support services are not allowed to use your personal information for their own purposes and are contractually obligated to maintain strict confidentiality. We limit their use of your personal information to the performance of the specific service we have requested.
- We restrict access to personal information to authorized personnel for business purposes only. All employees are trained and required to safeguard such personal information.
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information.
You have the right to access your personal information in our records. This information can be accessed online directly by you through myQuestrade. We will make every effort to keep your personal information accurate and up to date.
- If you identify any inaccuracy in your personal information, or you need to make a change to that information, please contact us so that we may promptly update our records.
- We will provide you with notice of changes in our information-sharing practices. If, at any time, it is necessary to disclose any of your personal information in a way that is inconsistent with this policy, we will give you advance notice of the proposed change so that you will have the opportunity to opt-out of such disclosure.
- You may withdraw your consent for us to collect your personal information at any time by contacting us. Any decision to withdraw consent may limit our ability to provide you with our products and services.
Consent to communications
By providing your contact information, you give us authority to contact you by email, mail, phone, or pre-recorded voice messages about:
- Questrade products
- Questrade services
- Questrade promotions, and/or
- Information about the products, services and promotions of our selected partners
Note: a non-Questrade client can withdraw consent for all communications at any time. Questrade clients cannot unsubscribe from receiving communications that Questrade is obligated to provide such as account-related information. Questrade clients can unsubscribe from promotional communications at any time.
How to unsubscribe
- To no longer receive email communications, click the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of our emails and
follow the prompts on your screen. Some emails may not include a ‘unsubscribe’ link because the email contains account-related information that Questrade clients must receive.
- If you receive an email in error after you have unsubscribed, please forward it to email@example.com and your request will be processed immediately
- You can change, update and opt-out of mobile alerts (for example, order, custom, or smart alerts), through the User Preference pages in IQ Edge or IQ Web Trading.
- If the issue persists, please forward any future emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can use the following methods for opting out of cookies
- You can limit analytics, performance and advertising-related cookies by controlling cookies in your web browser's settings. (Disabling cookies in this way is more likely to actually break or worsen the customer experience when using some of our services; however, the option is available to you).
- You can limit customer-related cookies by managing cookies in the settings page of the Questrade customer portal by turning off user ID related cookies. Once you have opted out, this cookie will be disabled for your next session and remain disabled for future sessions. If you wish to disable immediately, log out of your account directly after turning off user ID related cookies. (Disabling cookies in this way is more likely to actually break or worsen the customer experience when using some of our services; however, the option is available to you).
Here are instructions for the most common browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Safari (Desktop)
- Safari (Mobile)
- Android Brower
If you would like to opt out of either Google Analytics for display advertisiers or customized Google Display Network ads, follow the instructions above.
Questrade uses a layered security approach, which includes the latest online and networking security technology to ensure that your interaction with Questrade is completely safe and secure.
- Questrade’s firewalls are designed to securely separate the Internet from our internal computer systems and databases.
- Data coming from customer computers passes through a series of safety checkpoints before being accepted to our internal system; as such, only authorized activity can enter our system.
- Encryption is a means of scrambling information for transmission, in this case, between your PC and Questrade’s network. Information that is encrypted at one end is decrypted (decoded) upon receipt at the other. Questrade uses 128-bit encryption to ensure that your data is transmitted securely.
- To protect your computer and your account information, Questrade uses digital certificates (2048-bit certificates) to ensure you are communicating directly with Questrade. When you login to myQuestrade, your browser challenges the Questrade website to prove its identity using digital certificates. Your browser can verify the certificate and will alert you if the website is not Questrade.
It is the policy of Questrade to not disclose personal financial information about our clients to any other party without the client’s prior consent (unless disclosure is required by regulation or necessary in order for us to provide the service you have requested).
Links to other websites
If you store your financial information (such as investment account numbers and login information) with personal finance sites like Quicken.com, your security may be at a greater risk.
Privacy questions, concerns OR complaints
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy or privacy and confidentiality matters, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
If, after contacting Questrade, you feel your concerns have not been adequately addressed, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at:
30 Victoria Street
Toll-free #: 1.800.282.1376